Sunday, May 18, 2008

Just for Today, May 19

Thanks be to Thee, that Thou hast not spared me in my sufferings, but hast bruised me with bitter stripes, inflicting pains, and sending distress, both within and without.

And of all things under heaven, there is none can comfort me but Thou, O Lord my God, the heavenly Physician of souls, who killeth and maketh alive, bring­eth down to hell and bringeth back again (I Kings ii, 6). Thy discipline is on me, and Thy rod shall instruct me.

-Bk. III, ch. 1.
_________________

The Community is under the impression that you have a1ways spoilt me since I entered Carmel; man seeth those things that appear, but the Lord beholdeth the heart (I Kings xvi, 7). Dear Mother, I thank you for not having spared me. Our Lord knew that His little flower was too weak to take root without the invigorating waters of humiliation, and this boon I owe to you.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: