Monday, May 19, 2008

Meditation for May 20, On Desiring Recognition

It is said that Nicholas Poussin, whose artistic talent was not at all negligible, had a virtue greater than his talent. When some­one gave him more for a painting than he believed it to be worth, he, with legendary honesty, sent back the surplus.

I do not demand cash for my services, but do I not often like to claim more than my due, in salary of gratitude or a smile?

I will imitate the artist of Louis XIV, accomplishing my task to the best of my ability. If I can do but little, then I will do that little with my whole soul, happy to pass unnoticed. If I think I have talent, I will use it without counting the cost, without being conceited, but without denying the gift of God if there really is a gift.

If someone calls attention to my success, I must not boast un­duly; if no one notices my effort or achievement I must not be sad. As a rule I will try to pass unnoticed. Who notices the cook's most carefully prepared menu or the value of a well-planned lesson pre­sented by a teacher?

I am a servant and should be thrilled to pass for even a useless servant. I will not expect a salary. And if by chance, someone deigns to praise me, I shall thank this rare and excellent person. I will not boast about my accomplishment but seek to do even better the next time.

"My God, when I examine myself, I see clearly that I love to deduct a premium from all that I offer You; it is often slight but nevertheless real. When all ought to be Yours I gather in small compensations in the way of selfish satisfaction."

I act like a child who tries to collect goodies or pennies to swell his bank. Not any more! I shall return what is over and above to Him to Whom it is due.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: