Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Just for Today, May 21

Take courage then, and be brave, both in doing and in suffering things repugnant to nature. Thou must put on the new man, and be changed into another man. Thou must oftentimes do that which is against thy inclination, and let alone that which thou art inclined to do.

But consider, son, the fruit of these labours, how quickly they will end, and their exceeding great reward, and thou wilt not be troubled at them, but strongly comforted in thy suffering.

-Bk. III, ch. xlix.
_________________

If my life were to be prolonged, I would prefer the office of infirmarian to any other. I would not ask for it, but if it were given to me as an obedience, I should consider myself very privileged. I would do my work lovingly, remembering Our Lord's words: I was sick and you visited me (Matt. xxv, 36). The sound of the infirmary bell should be like heavenly music in your ears. You ought to make a point of passing beneath the infirmary windows, so that the sick may be able to call you and ask some service, as though you were a little slave that everyone had the right to command. If you could but see the Angels watching from Heaven our combat on earth, ready to crown us at the end! If we profess to be little martyrs, we must earn our palm. God does not despise these struggles, all the more meritorious for being hidden: The patient man is better than the valiant: and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh cities (Prov. xvi, 32).

By the little acts of charity we perform in secret, we convert souls in distant lands, we help the missionaries and obtain abundant alms for them, thus building both spiritual and material tabernacles for Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: