Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Just for Today, June 12

O holy Father, Thou hast so appointed, and such is Thy will; and that has come to pass which Thou hast ordained. For this is a favour to Thy friend, that he should suffer and be afflicted in this world for the love of Thee, how often soever, and by whomsoever Thou permittest it to fall upon him. Without Thy counsel and providence, and without cause, nothing is done upon earth.

It is good for me, O Lord, that thou hast humbled me, that I may learn thy justifications (Ps. cxviii, 71), and that I may cast away from me all pride of heart and presumption.

-Bk. III, ch. 1.
_______________

Although the trial I am undergoing prevents my taking pleasure in anything, yet I can still say: Thou hast given me, O Lord, a delight in thy doings! (Ps. xci, 5). What could be sweeter than to suffer for love of Thee? The greater the suffering and the less others are aware it, the more is it pleasing to Thee, O my God! Even if it were possible for Thee to be ignorant of it, I should still be glad to suffer, in the hopes that my tears might be the means of preventing, or at least atoning for one single sin against faith.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: