Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Just for Today, October 16

There is scarce any one thing in which thou standest so much in need of mortifying thyself, as in seeing and suffering the things which are repugnant to thy will; and especially when that is commanded which seems to thee incongruous and to little purpose. And because being under authority thou darest not resist the higher power, therefore thou art apt to think it hard to walk at the beck of another, and wholly give up thy own sentiment.
-Bk. III, ch. xlix.
_________________

She told me that once, when second portress, she was told to prepare a night-light for outside in circumstances which should not have arisen, and when she had not the necessary materials at hand. The struggle within her soul was so sharp, that she had to beg most earnestly for grace to overcome herself. She then began the work, giving to it the hour of silence before Matins:
"I imagined that I was preparing a night-light for Our Lady and the Child Jesus, so I worked with the utmost care, removing the least speck of dust, and little by little great peace and consolation filled my soul. When the bell rang for Matins I was not able to go at once, but I had received a special grace, and had Sister N. come and told me that I had made a mistake, and must prepare another light, I would have obeyed gladly.

"From that time I made up my mind not to question whether an order given me were reasonable or not."
-Novissima Verba.
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: