Friday, November 07, 2003

Update on ICD's Liturgical Dance Performance on Oct 12

I received a response from Bishop Hermann a couple of days ago regarding a followup letter I wrote to him after his participation in ICD's Dedication Mass of October 12. My report and comments of the Dedication Mass are here.

I do not wish to post his letter as I am considering other options and what approach is necessary in pursuing this further. Suffice it say that the essence of the response was, more or less, what I expected. I was surprised by the reasoning and rationalizations given, though!

In summary, I have been enlightened as to the following:
That this diocese has a history of liturgical dance on special occasions.
"Arbitrarily" forbidding liturgical dance at ICD would be confusing for the faithful.
Prohibiting liturgical dance "in this Archdiocese" will require a "thorough catechesis". Lastly, since 'liturgical dance' occurred at the Vatican with the Beatification of Mother Theresa, it must be OK for us here in the US, because it was televised worldwide.

I guess Cardinal Arinze was mistaken when he said, "The do-it-yourself" Mass is ended. Go in peace." I suppose we have a ways to go before we are fully "inculturated".

No comments: