Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Another Letter from another confused Catholic

Prudent choices

I am a practicing Catholic and active member of a suburban parish. I was distressed to hear Archbishop Burke saying that my vote in an election or support of a pro-abortion candidate like Sen. John Kerry could be a matter for the confessional before taking Communion. I was offended because, like all Americans, I regard my vote and everyone else's as personal, confidential and our free choice and right as American citizens.

Although I always form my conscience and actions in the light of my faith and the teachings of my church, nobody is going to persuade me that my vote, whatever it is, has an authentic link to the sacraments. Certainly, no priest will ever hear me speak in confession about how I voted. I find the very idea to be grotesque.

Many of our bishops must feel the same way, as most of them have chosen not to take the same stand as Burke's in their own dioceses.

I want to reassure Burke that the people in St. Louis' many Catholic parishes are quite capable of making a prudent political choice that reflects the moral values of our faith and the needs of the common good in America. I encourage him to believe in us.

Patricia Smith
Creve Coeur
If one formed his conscience according to right reason, the moral law, and Church teaching, then it would be incomprehensible to cast a vote for an avowed promoter and defender of abortion. And there is a connection to our actions (including voting) and having the proper disposition to receive the Sacraments. A denial of this fact demonstrates an incomplete and deficient understanding of the Sacraments and the nature of being in a state of grace as a prerequisite to receive the Sacraments (excepting the Sacraments of Penance and Anointing).

With respect to Patricia's statement (and many others like hers) that many of our bishops do not stand with Archbishop Burke, perhaps she has been absent for the past few decades and have failed to witness the disobedience and dissent that has plagued many dioceses for years. Only recently have the appointments of the Holy Father demonstrated a return to good and holy men to lead Christ's people.

Unfortunately, contrary to Patricia's opinion that many "are quite capable of making a prudent political choice that reflects the moral values of our faith", this is not the case. When polls indicate that Catholics contracept and have abortions at nearly the same rate as society in general, then professed Catholics are not making choices that reflect the "moral values' of the Catholic faith. Bishops and priests have, in many places, failed to teach the faithful.

Link here


No comments: