Friday, March 11, 2005

Eucharistic Whisperings 3/11/05

How great it is!

In appearance, indeed, it is smaller even than the palm of my hand; but ah! its influence extends over the whole earth; from it there issues the very life, the very soul, of Christendom.

Without the sacred Host our beautiful churches and magnificent cathedrals would cease to be what they are, they would become spacious halls of emptiness, cold, cheerless; Christian art would sink down and die; virtue would faint and fade away; there would be a priesthood without a sacrifice and without an altar; and souls would wander aimlessly in loveless darkness, only to lose themselves on the broad path that leads to perdition.

The sun never sets upon the kingdom of the sacred Host. Its throne is the only one that has never tottered - that will never totter. It may be that a time will come when there are monarchs without subjects. But one thing shall never be: the sacred Host shall never be without adorers!

And I am here in His presence, before Jesus. How poor and little I feel before greatness such as this! O Jesus, so great! How can You find Your joy in me? How can You invite me, nay, command me, to stay an be very near to You? O little Host .... and yet so great!....so great! Imagination fails me...I can do no more....I must humble myself....I adore you, my Saviour!

Adapted from Eucharistic Whisperings, The Society of the Divine Saviour, 1929

No comments: