Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The War Against The Light

We elderly and semi-elderly people can still remember a time when nothing was less controversial than the words “Merry Christmas.” If you said them in July, of course, you might be regarded as more than a little eccentric, perhaps in need of professional help of some kind, but even then people would have been puzzled, not offended.

In my childhood, in the 1940s and 1950s, I used to go about town, at Christmastime, and wish everyone I saw a Merry Christmas, without having an anxiety attack over the possibility that I might be offending a Buddhist, or a Muslim, or an atheist. Everyone responded in kind. On one occasion, I ran into my Jewish uncle (by marriage) and, in all innocence, wished him a Merry Christmas. Amazingly, he did not report me to B’nai B’rith or to the ACLU for anti-Semitism or “hate speech,” but wished me a Merry Christmas back.

Well, the world has spent the last 40 years or so descending more and more deeply into insanity, one of the symptoms of which is the increasingly common phenomenon of people wanting to ban even the use of the word Christmas. Major department stores are telling their employees to wish everyone happy holidays or something of the sort and to absolutely eschew the word Christmas. It used to be that the big battles this time of year involved Christmas displays on government property.
Continued here...by George A Kendall at The Wanderer

No comments: