Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Willful Ignorance or Something Else...

A recent column in the Post left me wondering if people are really so out of touch with reality. I am unclear if this column may have been an attempt at comedy or satire, and if so, I saw neither humor nor satire in it. As a matter of fact, if the author is even slightly serious and truthful, we need to pray for his conversion and the conversion of his family and friends. Having just discovered that acting on one's homosexual inclinations is sinful, he says:
...I suddenly was concerned about my friend [Dean]. Not only is he a heavy smoker, which is bad, but he’s gay, which apparently is a sin. Between the ride on the lung-cancer express and the openly sinful behavior, my friend might be bumming a smoke off of Satan any day now. I figured I couldn’t waste time. I dialed the phone.

“I’ve been reading about this in the paper. People say it’s a sin. Did you know it’s a sin?”

“Yeah.”

“And that doesn’t bother you?”

“I’m Catholic. Everything’s a sin,” Dean replied. “Being gay is the least of my worries.”
Lovely...the homosexual who happens to be "Catholic", unconcerned about his immortal soul because this is a religion where everything is a sin. Perhaps, everything he is doing or failing to do is sinful, but that clarification is never made. His attempts to convince his friend that he should try and change his homosexual lifestyle were truly lame, much like the column in general. He ends his writing unconcerned with either his friend's immortal soul or his own:
The reason I like Dean is that he is who he is. If he changed into something else, I might not like him as much. So, I guess he’ll end up trading Marlboros with Beelzebub after all. Actually, I could probably use some company down there anyway.
It will take much prayer, conutless acts of reparations and sacrifices, and unending works of mercy, all with God's infinite graces, to change hearts and minds of the untold pagans of this once Christian nation. For the faithful, the work is before us and we cannot be complacent nor can we procrastinate.

The complete article, "Friends don’t let friends stay gay…right?," is here.

No comments: