Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Mental Prayer for Easter Wednesday-Apparition to St. Thomas

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: Lord, help me to have a firm faith and a lively hope in your promises.

Mental Picture (cf. John 20: 24-29) : It is a week since Jesus rose from the dead. His disciples are gathered together. Thomas alone has not seen Jesus. This Apostle refuses to believe "unless I see in His hands the print of the nails and put my hand into His side." Suddenly Jesus is present. "Thomas, see my hands and feet; bring your hand here and touch... be not faithless, but believe!" Great faith now burns in Thomas' soul; from dead ashes his hope springs up. "My Lord and my God."

My Personal Application: Willingly has Jesus sub­mitted to Thomas' test; He has shown His hands and His side. Then He speaks for our benefit: "Blessed are they that have not seen, but have believed!" And it is especially to Jesus present in the Blessed Sacrament that we must express this belief. When He comes upon the altar, faith prompts us to answer: "My Lord and my God!" Yet Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament should fire our hope too, for He is the risen Jesus, the victorious Lord, the King of glory without end, and it is He who says to us : "Fear not; I have overcome the world."

I Speak to Christ: My risen Lord, by faith I know that in the Host which I see with my eyes You are present, and present as my Savior now risen and glorious. When You come to me in Communion, You are telling me that I too will one day rise with You and reign gloriously in heaven with You. So teach me to put all my hope and trust in You.

Thought for Today: "Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus; He has risen even as He said."
____________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: