Thursday, July 13, 2006

Mental Prayer for July 14-The Mission of the Apostles

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: Zeal for your cause, my Jesus!

Mental Picture: See Jesus instructing the Apostles as they prepare to leave on their first mission. "Be wise as serpents and simple as doves.... You shall be hated by all men for my name's sake.... He that does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me - cannot be my disciple.... Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall I confess before the Father." Hear the Apostles preaching. Their burning love for Christ is revealed in every word and gesture. Feel their enthusiasm as they return: "Look at what we can do with Christ's power!"

My Personal Application: Do I have the same desire to do great things for Christ as had the Apostles? Men on fire with the love of Christ? This zeal springs from close, intimate living with Jesus. I am privileged to have as close a union with Him as the Twelve had, because Christ lives in me by sanctifying grace. Can I know and love Jesus without wanting to bring others to do so? Does my timidity come from lack of trust?

I Speak to Christ: Help me understand your words of advice and warning. Teach me to be prudent and adroit in my dealings with others, yet eager to bring you into their lives. Give me courage to surmount the obstacles, to endure the bigotry, to suffer the petty persecution that will come because I am your disciple. May I never let you down. I can accomplish anything with your help! Always, everywhere, may men see you in me!

Thought for Today: Love is shown by deeds.
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: