Thursday, July 27, 2006

Mental Prayer for July 28 - The World We Live In

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: Christ, I want to see life as you see it.

The Idea: Modern man tries to lead a double life: in one part, God counts; in the other part, God neither sees nor cares. Compare some typical modern attitudes with some remarks of Christ.

"The big thing for happiness is a good job with plenty of money."... Christ says, "Blessed are the poor in spirit... Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His justice and all these things will be added unto you."

"Business is like baseball: nice players always lose."... "Whatever you do to one of these my least brethren you do unto me."...

"If they treat me right, I'll treat them right; if they play dirty, they can expect the same."... "Love your enemies, do good to them who hate you... For if you love them that love you... do not even the publicans do this?"

"Religion is okay, but God doesn't care too much."..."Be ye perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect."

"Don't repress your sexual desires."... "Blessed are the pure of heart for they shall see God."

My Personal Application: It is easy for modern paganism to shape my ideas and reactions if I am not alert to the danger and do not pray to see things as Christ sees them. Can I think of some definite situations in which I picked up ideals which are contrary to Christ's?

I Speak to Christ: Lord, you have said, "If you continue steadfast in my word, you will really be my disciples, and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." Help me be a disciple of yours, so your truth will free me from false values: free me from life by halves so I give my whole life to you.

Thought for Today: The truth shall make you free.
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: