Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Mental Prayer for October 11-Popularity and Human Respect

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: My God, teach me to see myself as I am, to live my life as Christ lived His: constantly working to do your holy will in everything that I do.

The Idea: A few years ago in a large midwestem high school there was a senior who was the most respected, most well-liked boy in the school, al­though he never knew it. He was one of those rare people that everyone enjoyed being with, one that you never feared would do or say anything the least bit out of place. He was a self-sacrificing and trustworthy individual - a Christlike person.

This senior was popular in the best sense of the term simply because of what he was. He never "ran after" popularity by fawning on other people, by spending a lot of money, by driving the "flash­iest" car. Nor was he ever "wise" or constantly telling off-color stories, etc.

On the contrary, he was a very normal person: he worked hard in school, took part in athletics and other school activities; he enjoyed parties and dances, and freely gave of himself to others and for others.

My Personal Application: What kind of person am I? Am I liked and respected for who I am? Do I help others? Am I trustworthy? Do I work hard at work or in school? Do I take part in activ­ities? Do I show a Christlike personality on every occasion?

I Speak to God: How foolish to seek popularity or human respect. I know it is not important. Places in heaven are not given with preference to popular people. Help me to be an unselfish person, Christlike. If popularity does come my way, I will recognize it as a mere trifle that is easily lost. You too, Jesus, were popular - for a time. Popularity isn't worth worrying over; it comes and goes.

Thought for Today: To live for Christ and to do things for Him and for others, but not to win the applause of others!
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: