Thursday, March 29, 2007

Mental Prayer for Friday after the Fifth Sunday of Lent

Simon Helps Jesus Carry His Cross

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Grant, O my suffering Savior, that I may recognize my cross in daily life, and carry it gladly.

Mental Picture (cf. Matt. 27:32): The Jews can see their prisoner is dying... His cross is crushing Him... as He walks He leaves a bloody trail... His breathing comes hard... labored. Another for help. There! in the crowd, a foreigner... just the man! Hearing the suggestion, Simon turns away... to lose himself in the mob... no use resist­ing... the guards force him to carry the cross... an aching nuisance... why did he have to be the one? Grumbling over his bad luck, he bends under the weight... and slowly follows Christ to Calvary... and he who a moment before was un­known becomes a man we will never forget.

My Personal Application: Christ is asking me also to carry my cross behind Him. But I don't get my cross all at once. Do I realize that the diffi­culties in my daily life are my cross? The studies or work that I may dislike... obedience to authority that I find so hard... people who make life difficult...misunderstanding - all these small splinters add up to make up my cross.

I Speak to Christ: This gives me a new slant on things, Lord. You've shown me the way. You ask nothing that you haven't done before me. Most men don't understand your cross; help me put my understanding into practice!

Thought for Today: "If anyone will come after me, let him take up his cross daily and follow me."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: