Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Priest at Prayer, June 1

Second Part
The Priestly Ministry

The Breviary

Second Meditation - The Way to Recite It


I. After lively controversies the moralists have made the happy discovery that it is sufficient to recite the Divine Office with "virtual" intention and "external" atten­tion in, order to fulfil the precept of the Church. I have at least virtual intention of praising God by the mere opening of the breviary to recite it as usual. And external attention merely demands that while reading the breviary I should not distract myself with anything destined of its nature to preclude the application of my mind to what I am reciting. When these two requirements. are met, and they are within everyone's reach, I shall have avoided grievous sin.

So there we are! We have argued with God about His rights and our duties, and now the matter is cleared up, the boundaries are drawn!

But surely, in God's service there is something more than refraining from insulting and offending Him griev­ously! If we cannot rise above this level, can we call ourselves children of God?

God requires of me, at least sub levi, internal inten­tion also, and this internal intention is quite easy and can take a number of different forms, should my fickle mind soon tire of one. It is achieved by any of the four following means:
1. Attending to the proper articulation of the words. This is called "material" attention, and it is sufficient.
2. Fixing the mind on the ideas expressed - and beautiful, fervent and varied ideas they are!
3. Considering with a simple act of the mind the Presence of God, of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist, our Blessed Lady, etc.
4. Keeping in mind some particular intention I desire to obtain through the recitation of the Office; for example, the conversion of a sinner, the overcoming of an evil suggestion, etc.

Dear Lord, why should I consider it well-nigh impos­sible to live intimately united to Thee for one hour each day, and that one hour split up? Lord, strengthen my weakness.

II. We are asked to recite the Office "digne" - becomingly, worthily, which means we should pronounce the words properly, articulating every syllable - initial, middle and final - of every word, pausing at commas and full-stops, not rushing over asterisks; and yet, of course, without that excessive dragging which would be abnormal in ordinary human speech; but with that calm dignity that one would use in presenting an important matter to a person of note. God is satisfied if we speak to Him after the manner of our intercourse with people who inspire us with respect by reason of rank or lineage; He wants no ridiculous exaggerations unworthy of divine worship. Is that asking too much?

I am the Church's ambassador to God, ambassador in affairs of paramount importance. Who would ever think of entrusting an embassy to a scatter-brain or a stam­merer?
Is the salvation of souls, which I have to negotiate with God through the Divine Office, of minor import­ance?

III. A third help towards the worthy fulfilment of this duty is, to recite the Hours at their proper times:
Matins and Lauds before Mass, Small Hours during the morning, Vespers and Compline in the afternoon or evening; and better still, never to retire for the night's rest without anticipating the Matins and Lauds of the following day. The Office, divided and said at the proper times, is not a burden; whereas, if allowed to pile up at the end of the day or night, it becomes intolerable. Better to advance the recitation within reasonable bounds than leave it to accumulate, especially if obstacles loom ahead.

And finally, to read the Office in a place conducive to recollection: in one's private study, in a field, alone, etc., etc., and to give to each Hour the time and space it demands.

I wonder, Lord, whether it is not through considering this high ministerial appointment of mine a mere nuisance and a kind of gauntlet that I have to run at all costs as hurriedly as possible, that I have made no choice of place and have seized any odd scrap of time which, but for this obligation, I would have simply wasted!

Resolutions
1. I shall consider the Canonical Hours my most important occupation, the primary purpose for which God grants me the day (after the offering of the august Sacrifice), the most worthy of me, the most meritorious. And the day I have not satisfied this opligation I shall account myself an unworthy priest and a dishonest man.
2. I shall not even be satisfied with being able to say "I've finished that anyway!" Certain it is that the signature of a notary, although in unreadable and in­elegant scribble, lends legal force to a public document . . . but have I no concern for the respect due to God and to my own ministry?

So, when purifying my intention at the beginning of the Divine Office, I shall always exclude, as injurious to God and to myself, the base idea of rushing through it as quickly as possible, as if to get rid of a crushing burden.
_________________________
Adapted from The Priest at Prayer
by Fr. Eugenio Escribano, C.M. (© 1954)
Translated by B.T. Buckley, C.M.


###
Please pray for our priests and pray for vocations to the priesthood!

No comments: