Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Meditation for September 13, The Consciousness of My Weakness

"We must not let the consciousness of our weaknesses make us lose the consciousness of our strength." (Vauvenargues.) That compares with what another moralist, La Rochefoucauld, once said, "We would do many more things if we believed them less impossible."

The victory belongs to those who think they can win. Do I mistrust myself too much?

Perhaps I have experienced that I am not capable of much. In my examens each day, I come face to face with evidence which is not very encouraging. How can I possess, after that, the beautiful self-confidence that some persons enjoy?

If I must have confidence, it is not so much by leaning on my own possibilities, scanty as they are in truth, but by leaning, rather, on the strength of God. Father Charles de Foucauld used to say, God is the master of the impossible, and without doubt the hermit of the Sahara was referring to events, but I can apply the truth to my wretchedness.

What I cannot realize with my own strength, which is after all only weakness, I can realize with the strength of God. I can do all things in Him who strengthens me, said St. Paul. I must trust more to Divine help in fulfilling the duties of my state; in my efforts for sanctification; in difficulties of what­ever nature they may be.

"O God, Omnipotent Master of the impossible, help me to triumph over my impressions, and over the paralyzing consciousness of my weakness. Grant that in the knowledge of my incapability for many things, I apply myself the more to complete confidence in You."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: