Saturday, September 22, 2007

Meditation for September 23, On Keeping My Word

"It is so easy to pronounce the words which signify the gift of oneself and it is so difficult to fulfill the promise," writes Maurice Zundel in his book, The Splendour of the Liturgy (Le Poeme de la Sainte Liturgie).

Cardinal Newman gave a sermon denouncing unreal words, that is, words devoid of their significance and which only strike the air; there is nothing beneath them; words, nothing but words.

In spiritual literature there are many unreal words, highly col­ored expressions which appear to express very rich sentiments, and exalted truths. To make the words dazzling in the effort to feel their reality is worth nothing. One simply becomes intoxicated for a moment with sublime expressions, that is all.

That is not enough.

I will avoid henceforth, when speaking to God from my heart, the use of exalted but empty words. I will employ modest expres­sions, but such as actually say something, something true.

When I express my love to God I will put real substance into my word "love"; when I tell Him that I give myself to Him, I will see that He possesses me in reality. No literary flights but honest sacri­fices; no rapturous words, but my true feelings, modest perhaps, but efficacious; no exalted poetry but a little real drama that is prosaic perhaps but meritorious.

I will never express what I do not feel, but I will strive to be able to use honestly the noble words of the language of love. I will force myself each day, in a greater degree, to love better, more strongly, and more solidly.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: