Friday, October 12, 2007

Meditation for October 13, On Keeping a Secret

It is difficult for everybody to keep a secret, but according to general opinion it is particularly difficult for a woman. If certain knowledge I possess is what is called a natural secret, that is, infor­mation revealed to me by circumstances, I ought to keep it to myself.

If I received my information from someone who rightfully asked me not to speak of it at all, it is a confidential secret. In principle, if I am not qualified to receive the information I should not accept such confidences, but if someone absolutely insists on telling me, then I should not engage myself by promise to say nothing to anyone, for in certain cases it may be that the superiors have a right to be informed and I may have the obligation to inform them.

Prudent silence may be imposed on me by a promise regarding knowledge I previously acquired, whether through a natural or confidential secret. If I am asked to say absolutely nothing about it, it is a promised secret.

In any case the gravity of a violation of confidence is in propor­tion to the damage that might normally result from my indiscretion.

Does this mean that one can never reveal a secret? No. The reasons justifying silence can in some instances be overthrown by graver motives which demand divulgence.

Prudence must evaluate the interests at stake. As a general principle, if I wish to keep the confidence of others I must oblige myself not to say anything of the confidences reposed in me.

There are some persons who excel in extorting from another what he does not wish to tell. They pretend to know all about it that they might find out. Even the most discreet persons must at times re­proach themselves for having spoken too much; very few need ever regret having known how to keep still.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: