Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Meditation for November 28, Living by Faith

If I am afraid sometimes at the thought of events which worry me, or at the prospect of possible physical suffering or failures in my apostolate, I am lacking in faith.

My faith in God is weak. I recite the Credo the same as any­one else, but I am far from giving to the phrases I recite their full implication. Instead of saying "I believe in God," I ought to say, if I were sincere, "I do not believe in God." It is not an absolute certitude with me that God has perfect mastery over individuals and circumstances; I reason about life like those for whom the Lord is not truly the Lord; I neglect to examine the things of earth in the light of eternity.

If I were entirely sincere, could I even say with sincere truth the first words of the Our Father? In affirming that God is our Father, do I not affirm that everything under any circumstances emanates from the all-powerful and paternal goodness of the Most High?

I forget the power of God.

I forget the Fatherhood of God.

That is why I am no longer able to say the Our Father and Credo with perfect sincerity.

Yes, O my God, I wish to be able to say them with my whole soul by exercising all my faith. I have finished judging by appear­ances only. Now the words suffering, trials, difficulties, weariness, death take on a new meaning. All is controlled by Thy Infinite Power. All emanates from Thy Infinite Love.

Shall I fear with a God who is God, with a God who is my Father?
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: