Monday, December 24, 2007

Meditation for December 25, Love Incarnate

O Christ, Love Incarnate, Love made Man, as St. Francis of Assisi called You, I contemplate Your adorable and hidden glory in this wretched manger.

I contemplate You, my little yet great Savior, lying within a small frame of rough boards filled with straw, and clad in the poor clothes brought by Mary.

You manifest Yourself and You hide Yourself.

You manifest Yourself in the humanity which Mary has given You. But who recognizes God in that small Child? God in a manger! Could a manger for animals be a fitting throne for a God?

Love made Man, what has brought You to this? Love. If the Word is made flesh, it is because His eternal love for the human race demanded His coming to earth.

If I go far back into the timeless realms of eternity, I find You loving, loving me, a poor nothing. I find You offering Yourself to come among men in submission to the divine will. Today the decrees are fulfilled; You come.

Love, how I long to see Love! Love is made Man. I will take You into my arms, and I will have You, Love made Man, close to me for one instant.

It cannot be true! I am dreaming. Can this little One really be the Savior?

How could I doubt it? I will come with all my love to love Love.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: