Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Meditation for February 21, The Repercussion of My Acts

A young girl of twenty-one wrote, "The thought that every one of our actions has its effect upon the whole human race is both consoling and terrifying. The smallest act of virtue raises even without our knowledge the low-water mark of morality, but the contrary, alas, is also true and how disturbing is this thought."

If I had a like realization of the possible repercussion of the least of my actions, what power would be mine! What breadth and what depth my life would have!

If I grasp that reality I will realize that the entire human race depends upon my holiness, depends on the least of my efforts for virtue. I can follow this little unknown act, which cost me so much but which I made generously, across the world in its march for good.... I can see this little hidden act of mine end in the cure of a paralytic who suddenly sits erect after having been motionless for years in his sin; or end in a vocation long defeated but which now suddenly overcomes all hesitation and asserts itself; or in a marvelous conversion; or in many souls' increased desires for great holiness; or in a miraculous awakening of a conscience until then dead in sin.

I isolate myself too much from the harmonious ensemble of the world. I too often forget that I have a part in this immense com­munity. The universe depends more than I think on what I am or what I am not. I must assume responsibilities in order to meet the unlimited dimensions of the need of Redemption.

Somewhere there is a distressed soul that I can help; somewhere there is a soul that I can assist on its upward climb; somewhere someone is suffering - I can help him bear his suffering; some­where someone is falling - I can obstruct the opening of the abyss or lend him strength and draw him back to the right road.

These thoughts must encourage me each time cowardliness would drag me down.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: