Friday, February 29, 2008

Meditation for March 1, Relics of the Cross

One day when St. Gertrude was gazing affectionately upon a relic of the True Cross and seeking to win for herself a more tender love of our Savior, Jesus said to her:

"You want some relics that will draw my heart to the one who pos­sesses them. Read the story of My Passion and cling to those words which I have spoken with so much love.... Write them, keep them as a relic.... Meditate on them often....They are the most precious relics of Me that one can possess; they are an expression of the deepest love of My Heart."

I will follow this counsel of our Lord. From now until Good Friday! will read and meditate eagerly and attentively on the Passion in order to learn the lessons my soul needs. I will not only linger on the words but I will try to reach Your very Heart, O Jesus. I will contemplate Your every act and live with You each sorrowful event from Gethsemane to Golgotha.

Except for one short vision of joy on Laetare Sunday, I shall now know only Christ and Christ crucified.

As though she feared that the wounds of Christ might distress us too much, the Church will cover them on Passion Sunday. In my heart I will try to look upon the unveiled Cross.

On Palm Sunday, I shall hear women and children cry Hosanna, but I shall not be deceived. The priest knocking on the door of the church with the foot of the cross will remind me forcibly that Calvary is coming nearer and nearer.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: