Saturday, February 05, 2011

Mental Prayer - The Salt of the Earth, The Light of the World

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: To see where I, as a Catholic, stand and to do something about it.

The Idea: Christ called His Apostles the salt of the earth and the light of the world. Why? Because as instruments of God they were to preserve mankind from sin and show men the road to heaven. For just as food needs salt to preserve it and give it the right taste, and men need light to show them the way, so people need leaders to direct them to God. Because the Apostles were so close to Christ, they had the qualities needed for this work. But immediately after Christ told them of their high office, He warned them: if the salt loses its flavor, it is to be thrown out. The Apostles had a job to do. If they did it well, their reward would be great. If they failed to do what lay in their power, they would be like worthless salt: they would have to be thrown out.

My Personal Application: As a faithful Catholic, I have many opportunities to point out, in my own way, the better thing. I have more knowledge about God's work, so more will be expected of me... to show the better road by my example - perhaps by watching my opportunities to preserve another from actual sin... not preaching, but simply showing the reasonableness of right living.

I Speak to Christ: Help me to realize, Lord, that as a member of Your Mystical Body I have an office in the apostolate... to light the way for my brothers and sisters... quietly, without calling undue attention to my actions... and realizing my responsibility. Give me the strength and inspiration to go into action... for your kingdom.

Thought for Today: I have a great work to do; I cannot cease till it be accomplished.
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: