Sunday, November 26, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 27, The Act of Contrition

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: My God, whom I have offended, give me the grace to understand the deep meaning of this prayer.

O my God... my Creator... my Father in heaven... who has given me all that I have... so forgiving... coming after me when I tried to forget you... looking for me... my Good Shepherd... my Savior... helping me to rise from sin... cleansing me.

I am heartily sorry... I have done wrong... acted like a fool... disobeyed you... I am sorry... serious­ly... quietly... even though I may not shed tears... real sorrow... not mere shame... deep down.

For having offended Thee... I'm so small... so in­significant... who knows me? Who is my Greatest Friend? Who is always with me?... to help?... to encourage? And I have gone against you... the all-powerful... without whom I cannot lift a finger... take a breath... even exist... cannot think... cannot talk without God's help... and I dared to offend you.

I detest all my sins... that I committed today... yesterday... last week... and all the sins of my past life... the big ones... the little ones... I hate them... I wish I had never committed them.

Because of Thy just punishments... for one mortal sin... I deserve hell... eternal fire... suffering without end... and the loss of heaven... never to see thee... for whom I was made. And for one venial sin... so many graces missed... punishment in purgatory... delay in seeing you in heaven.

But most of all because I have offended Thee, Who art all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of Thy grace to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin.

Thought for Today: Say the Act of Contrition carefully several times today.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: