Saturday, December 02, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 3, Monthly Checkup, On Confession

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To see clearly how I have been making my confessions, to rejoice over successes, to be sorry for failures, to do better in the future.

Check-Up: Have I made my examination of conscience faithfully each night? This practice will help me a lot in preparing for confession. How often have I gone to confession?... once a week?... at least every two weeks? Do I go to a regular confessor, one who can get to know me and help me with my particular problems, encourage me to make progress?

Do I examine my conscience carefully, though, not scrupulously, before going to confession? Do I always put special emphasis, besides, on being really sorry for my sins, striving for perfect contrition?

When making my confession, do I realize that I am telling my sins to Christ, whose place the priest takes? Do I always put the bigger or harder-­to-confess sins first? Am I always completely open and honest (something that requires real courage at times) in the confessional? Do I answer any questions the priest may ask? Do I pay attention to the priest if he gives me advice?... do my best to follow it? Do I always say and do my penance?

I Speak to Christ: O Lord, let me realize that you gave me confession to be a help in living my life for you. Give me the grace to use this wonderful sacrament correctly. Help me to avoid the same sins in the future and to make sure I stay away from my occasions of sins. Let my attitude toward confession be that it is the place where I meet you for forgiveness and grace.

Thought for Today: "Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven."
_________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: