Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 29, Particular Examination

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, give me the realization of my need for this weapon in my battle as a Christian.

The Idea: This meditation and the two following bring to a close the first main division of the battle, dislodging the enemy. We have taken a long look at sin. We have seen its results. And now we are sure we want no part of it.

Our work, then, is cut out for us: rooting out our habits of sin, and planting habits of virtue. And here we get a sure-fire weapon - the Particular Examination ­ with its double action, offensive and defensive. We'll use it at night during our general examina­tion of conscience.

First, its defensive action. The target is some sinful habit strangling our soul. Aim at a particular one, and only one. Work on the exterior habits first, the ones that others notice. Each night we write down how often this habit has mastered us during that day. Notice where, when, with whom. Make plans against these weak spots. In preparing for weekly confession, concentrate on this particular fault. Under such concentrated fire, no evil habit can last long. The target remains the same until demolished.

On the offensive, we'll use the Particular Examination to gain a good habit, for instance, recalling to mind that God is here and now present within me. Again, just one at a time. Each night we'll check up: how often did I recall God's presence today? Concentrate. It will grow.

I Speak to God: O my God, this is just the strategy I need. It is going to call for some real soul power to stick to it day after day. But I know it will work. Others, like Francis of Assisi and Mother Cabrini, have used it toward becoming saints. Often I will be tempted to forget about it, give it up. That's when I'll need an extra push from you. With you, I know I can succeed. What fault should I start with?

Thought for Today: "My God, show me where I should begin."
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: