Monday, November 27, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 28, The Act of Contrition (II)

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: My Savior, grant that I may see more clearly what it means to offend you.

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee. I detest all my sins because of Thy just punishments.

But most of all... even if there were no hell... and I was sure of going to heaven... yet I would hate... and detest... all my sins.

Because I have offended Thee... I, a puny creature... dares to offend... to slap the face... of my Creator... my Savior... Infinite Holiness... thinking I know what is best for me... better than He... who is Infinite Wisdom.

Who art all-good... an ocean of goodness without a shore... greater than the skies... deeper than the universe... so that every bit of goodness around us... is a mere reflection of your infinite good­ness... and all for me!

And deserving of all my love... all my thanks... my prayers... my best efforts at keeping the command­ments... loving God... in myself... in my friends... in my parents... in all my neighbors... because you are Love Itself... and all your creatures are manifestations of that Love.

I firmly resolve... quietly... deep down... peace­fully... solidly and sincerely.

With the help of Thy grace... for without that grace I am helpless in turning to you... but with it... no matter how great the temptation... I can win... and God's grace... enough to help me conquer... will always be with me... if I cooperate... do my part.

To sin no more... the rest of my life... this year... this week... this day... without any sin.

To avoid the near occasions of sin... companions... places... things... whatever causes me to sin.

Thought for Today: Next time I say the Act of Contrition, I'll say it slowly, meaning each word.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: