Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Priest at Prayer, May 11

The Priest and the Eternal Truths

* DEATH *

Second Meditation - Its Uncertainties


I. What thoughts have you at the back of your mind concerning your death? If you voiced them honestly perhaps you would say something like this:
"Yes, of course, I'll die one day, but I'm no less convinced that I have many a long and happy year before me yet. A ripe old age already? I'll get riper still. All aches and pains? Oh, I'll get better or at least some relief; if not, I'll jog along somehow. Other men younger and healthier than myself may die soon and perhaps go off in a flash? Now, why should that bother me and rob me of my sleep? I feel so sure of myself that I might even say with the rich hoarder of the Gospel: Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years. Take thy rest: eat; drink, make good cheer. (Luke xii, 19) Moreover, when at long last my hour does come I shall have time enough and to spare for preparing myself; I shall sight death approaching from afar; its coming will be that of a placid summer evening, not like a squall. Yes, 1 shall have ample time to get myself ready to die the death of the just."

Honestly, now, could you swear that your imagin­ation never plays this trick on you? Doesn't it amount to a firm conviction? Or, at least, don't you lead a life that argues this conviction?

II. We base our convictions on reasons, and the more solid the reasons the firmer the conviction. So let us see the reasons for this intimate conviction as to the manner of your death.

Experience? Stretch your imagination, muster around you all those acquaintances of yours who have died: parents, brothers and sisters, relations, classmates. . . . How many came by that distant and tranquil fading out of their earthly existence which you allot yourself so convincingly?

Call to mind your brother priests who have given to Christ an account of their stewardship. How many arrived at that long-delayed and peaceful death which you seem to be so sure of?

Or will you have the exclusive privilege of saying with the evil-doers quoted by Isaias the prophet:
We have entered into a league with death, and we have made a covenant with hell?-(ls. xxviii, 15)

III. Is the Faith your pledge and security? The Faith! Through the mouth of the same prophet God answers you:

And your league with death shall be abolished, and your covenant with hell shall not stand.­(id. 18.)

The Faith! Read the Gospels. In two long chapters - the 24th and 25th according to St. Matthew - our Savior's final preaching is devoted to teaching us by facts, by parables, by concise and shattering phrases, the truth contained in the following words:
You know not at what hour your Lord will come. At what hour you know not the Son of Man will come.

And speaking in particular about His evil ministers who say in their hearts: my Lord is long a coming, and begin to show themselves unmerciful towards their neighbor, and indulge in lustful pleasure, Christ swears by all that He is, on His word of a God, that
The Lord of that servant shall come in a day he hopeth not, and at an hour that he knoweth not. Neither the day nor even the hour!

Therefore, your convictions are diametrically opposed to the lessons of experience and - what is still more tragic - the solemn warning of Christ. Who is right?

O my Jesus, how clearly I see that the root and origin of my unpriestly life was that stupid confidence of the wicked servant ! My Lord is long a coming.

Resolutions
1. I shall struggle with myself until I destroy that false sense of security, that conviction of living many a long year and of dying the death of a saint, which has no other support than the tenacious instinct of self-­preservation.

2. I shall often meditate upon the fatal uncertain­ties surrounding my last hour, and I shall implore my Lord Jesus Christ to grant me an intimate conviction of the truth of His teachings on this point. Lord, let my mind and my very heart voice the certitude underlying Thy words: Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my Words shall not pass. away! (Matt. xxiv, 25)

3. Convinced that Thou can come any day, at any moment, I shall always be on the alert, my lamp trimmed, lest the Bridegroom of souls should close on me the door of His everlasting dwellings.

Vigilate! Et vos estate parati!
_________________________
Adapted from The Priest at Prayer
by Fr. Eugenio Escribano, C.M. (© 1954)
Translated by B.T. Buckley, C.M.


###
Please pray for our priests and pray for vocations to the priesthood!

No comments: