Thursday, June 26, 2008

Meditation for June 27, Curiousity

The fact that I'm curious is no mystery. I was born curious. So were we all, but I must suppress my desires to know what does not concern me, and my interest in those things which, as far as my peace and union with God are concerned, it would be far better I ignored.

I must, of course, be very alert regarding all that can be a source of true enrichment or a help in my apostolate. Should I harbor any doubt, I have superiors to enlighten me.

Now I am considering merely useless curiosities - it should hardly be necessary to mention such as are unwholesome or dan­gerous. The author of Spiritual Combat suggests some of these useless curiosities - "novelties, greater or lesser changes in the world if they do not concern you." These last words he underlined. "Put such useless ideas out of your thoughts," he counsels. Then he adds further:

"Every time you hear or see them, close against them, in the depths of your soul, the entrance to your will, so that they do not distract you inwardly; do not center upon such things all the powers of your life."

He concludes:
"Even in the science of divine things show yourself humble and modest,"
giving as a final counsel these words,
"Do not desire to know anything but the life and death of your crucified Christ."
Despite the differences in circumstances and time, these words emphasizing the right points are always good to hear, to meditate upon and to practice.

Do I have sufficient curiosity regarding all that touches upon the life and death of my Savior, the great mysteries of the Divine Life, the Church, the establishment of God's Kingdom in the world? Aside from a legitimate curiosity concerning my work, my studies, the true needs of my soul, am I sufficiently detached from useless curiosity?

"Let me know myself, let me know You," St. Augustine used to pray. Let me know only You, St. Paul prayed. I will think and pray like them. Above all, I will live like them.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: