Friday, June 27, 2008

Meditation for June 28, Broken Moments

Of St. Frances of Rome, a matron of the fifteenth century, it is told that on one occasion while she was saying the Office of the Blessed Virgin, her husband called her. She stopped immediately, returning later to her prayers. Scarcely had she begun again, when again she was summoned. Four times in succession she was inter­rupted, but she did not lose her smile. When she returned finally to finish her prayer, she found the verse written in her book in beauti­ful letters of gold.

How often do I not experience interruptions, particularly in certain activities! Do I then practice the exquisite patience and smiling self-control of St. Frances, or do I, rather, allow my annoy­ance to be seen? How quick I am to murmur: "A person never has a minute to oneself! I'm always being disturbed! A person can't live any more!"

Yes, not a minute to oneself. Our minutes belong to God and to our neighbor. Always to be disturbed! This is truly life. This is life, and what more than this can constitute a great life, if I know how to animate all these bits of time, all these twigs of action with the right disposition of soul?

After all, what would there be to my life if it were not for the utilization of odd moments. The Little Sisters of the Poor made pretty quilts for the old men's beds from little diamond-shaped pieces of goods cut out from remnants. I must learn the art of making use of odds and ends; it's a useful art in the kitchen; it is useful for sanctity.

There is nothing more agreeable than to have long hours to one­self, and for certain types of work it is to be desired. But, if it is my lot to have only broken time, God be praised for it!

Lord, teach me to make my life a great one with a multitude of little actions. Each letter of the alphabet is a scarcely noticeable sign, yet through the combination of many of these little signs, a poet succeeds in writing a beautiful poem. With the letters and the words of the whole world give me the grace to compose a unique and truly divine poem.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: