Thursday, October 30, 2008

Just for Today, October 31

God is able to do more than man can understand.

Blessed is that simplicity that leaveth the difficult ways of dispute, and goeth on in the plain and sure path of God's commandments. It is faith that is required of thee, and a sincere life; not the height of understanding, nor diving deep into the mysteries of God.

God never deceiveth; but he is deceived that trusts too much in himself. God walketh with the simple, and revealeth Himself to the humble; He giveth under­standing to little ones, openeth the gate of knowledge to pure minds, and hideth His grace from the curious and proud.

-Bk. IV, ch. xviii.
____________

I have always longed to be a saint, but when I com­pared myself with the Saints, I was conscious of the same difference that exists between a high mountain and a grain of sand. Instead of feeling discouraged, I would say to myself: God would never inspire me with an ideal that cannot be attained, so that I can still aspire to sanctity although I am so small and weak. I cannot become great; I must put up with myself as I am, with my innumerable imperfections, but I will try to find a new way to Heaven, quite short and direct. We live in an age of inventions; in the houses of the rich you go up in a lift, instead of climbing the stairs. As I am too small to climb the arduous ladder of perfection, I also must find a lift to carry me up to God.

I turned to the Scriptures to find some clue, and came upon these words from the lips of eternal Wisdom: Whosoever is a little one, let him come to me (Prov. ix, 4). Having drawn near to God, I felt sure that I had found what I sought, but to discover what He would do to the little one, I read on: You shall be carried at the breasts, and upon the knees they shall caress you. As one whom the mother caresseth so will I comfort you (Is. lxvi, 12, 13)..

Never had more touching and tender words sounded in my ears. Thy arms, O Jesus, are the lift which will carry me up to Heaven! There is no need for me to grow up; I must now remain a little one more than ever. Thou hast gone beyond my desire, O my God, and I will praise Thy mercy! Thou hast taught me, O God, from my youth: and till now I will declare thy wonderful works, unto old age and grey hairs (Ps. lxx, 17).

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: