Friday, November 07, 2008

Just for Today, November 8

Many things must thou pass by with a deaf ear, and think rather of those things that appertain to thy peace.

It is more profitable to turn away thy eyes from such things as displease thee, and to leave to everyone his own way of thinking, than to give way to contentious discourses. If thou standest well with God, and lookest to His judgement, thou wilt more easily bear to see thyself overcome.
-Bk. III, ch. xliv.
______________

A certain member of the Community had a way of annoying me by everything she did; the devil must have had a finger in this, by making me see only her unpleasant side, but I would not give way to my anti­pathy.

I said to myself that charity is not merely a matter of feelings, but must be proved by deeds, so I set myself to do for her what I would do for the person most dear to me. Every time I met her I prayed for her, offering up her virtue and merits to God.

I knew this pleased Our Lord, for what artist is there who does not like to have his work praised? The divine Artist of souls is pleased when we do not stop at the exterior, but penetrate to the hidden sanctuary which He has chosen for a dwelling-place, and we admire its beauty.

I not only prayed much for the one who caused me many a struggle, but I also tried to be of service to her. When tempted to give her a disagreeable answer, I gave her instead a sweet smile, and tried to turn the conversa­tion, for it is written in the Imitation:
It is more pro­fitable to leave everyone his own way of thinking, than to give way to contentious discourses.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: