Saturday, November 08, 2008

Just for Today, November 9

It is no great thing to be able to converse with them that are good and meek, for this is naturally pleasing to all, and everyone would willingly have peace, and love those best that agree with them.

But to live peaceably with those that are harsh and perverse, or disorderly, or such as oppose us, is a great grace and a highly commendable and manly exploit.
-Bk. II ch. iii.
_____________

Sometimes, when I was more violently tempted than usual, and saw that I would not be able to conceal the struggle, I ran away like a deserter. In spite of this, the Sister for whom I felt a natural aversion said to me one day:
"Will you tell me what you like so much in me? Every time I meet you, you give me a gracious smile."
What was it that attracted me? It was Jesus hidden in her soul who could change bitter into sweet.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: