Friday, August 13, 2004

Archbishop Burke: "Cafeteria" Catholics cannot be in ministry

On tonight's 9:00 evening news, Archbishop Burke was interviewed by KTVI-Fox 2 reporter Dan Gray. It was clear from the interview that Archbishop Burke wants to ensure that no one is involved in ministries such as Lector, Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion, etc., or in a position of teaching in Catholics schools if that person does not accept completely the teachings of the Church with regard to abortion, contraception, homosexuality, and on and on. This position sounds very similar to that of Bishop Vasa of Baker, Oregon except that an "Affirmation of Faith" has not been prepared.

This is, indeed, very encouraging news! As I was somewhat shocked and simultaneously elated, I did not write down any notes while the interview was occurring - nor did I tape it. I could not find it on KTVI's web site either. So what I am relating is what I recall - basically, my interpretation, so to speak.

He stated that those "Cafeteria" Catholics who are presently involved should examine their conscience and positions and remove themselves from active ministry until such time as they can accept all the teachings of the Church. This includes those who are practicing contraception as well.

I will try to tape the re-broadcast of the interview later tonight so that I can provide a better review - as I said I was sort of spellbound during the interview, in anticipation. Please keep Archbishop Burke in your prayers as there will be an outcry from the dissenting voices as this becomes more well known. Perhaps, he is planning on having this in his upcoming pastoral letter which has not yet been released.

I will post more info as it becomes available and correct any of my misunderstandings of what he said or didn't say when I review the interview later. Once again, please say a special prayer for Archbishop Burke as well as a prayer of thanksgiving that our Lord has given us such a courageous shepherd to lead us during these days in which there is such a severe crisis of faith.

No comments: