Friday, August 13, 2004

Archbishop Burke writes open letter to St. Stanislaus parishioners

To Christ’s faithful of St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish:

On my hope and prayer for St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish.

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,

During the Holy Mass, when we use Eucharistic Prayer III, we ask that we may become "one body, one spirit, in Christ." Throughout the months since my installation as Archbishop of St. Louis, with respect to the matter of the status of St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish, my unfailing hope and my constant prayer has been that we may be "one body, one spirit, in Christ."

So also it was the hope and prayer of my predecessor, Cardinal Justin Rigali, from the inception of his discussions with the board of directors of the parish until the time of his transfer to the See of Philadelphia. This has been the hope and the prayer, as well, of so many of the clergy, and consecrated and lay faithful of the Archdiocese of St. Louis throughout these long months.

For this reason, and to this end, I renew my expression of pride in St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish as a personal parish for Polish-speaking faithful and faithful of Polish heritage in the Archdiocese of St. Louis. I likewise express again my deepest gratitude to all who have sacrificed so much to keep St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish vital and strong.

Again, I confirm that the future of St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish is assured so long as the Polish-speaking faithful and faithful of Polish heritage continue to gather there and to provide the support necessary for the parish. It is difficult, in light of its venerable significance and the enthusiasm of the congregation, to imagine that a time could come when the future of St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish would be in question.

With respect to the assets of St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish, Church law safeguards and protects all such funds, buildings and grounds. I state yet again that neither I, nor my successors as Archbishop of St. Louis, will, or, for that matter, can, access or redirect the funds on deposit in the Archdiocesan Trust of any of our parishes.

All of this I have previously offered to state in an appropriate written commitment. I repeat my willingness to do so.

Finally, I again ask that your parish priests be accorded the same respect and cooperation which are given to the parish priests in each of the 212 other parishes of the Archdiocese of St. Louis. The legitimate exercise of the pastoral office cannot be impeded, if a parish is truly to be Catholic in name and in fact.

It is my hope and my prayer that the time has come when we may again be "one body, one spirit, in Christ." I ask God’s blessings upon you and your homes, and I ask for a remembrance in your prayers.

Given at the offices of the Archdiocesan Curia on the 11th day of August, the memorial of St. Clare, Virgin, in the Year of our Lord 2004.

Archbishop Raymond L. Burke
Archbishop of St. Louis

From the St. Louis Review.

No comments: