Monday, June 19, 2006

Mental Prayer for June 20 - The Necessities of Life

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: To value my spiritual food, you yourself.

The Idea: An outstanding athlete from a starving country? A strong Olympic team from such a place? You just don't hear of them. Why? The youths simply don't have the strength, the muscle to be great... with a diet that barely keeps people alive. This may sound like a TV commer­cial, but could you be a champ without the proper food?

My Personal Application: My soul is living, grow­ing. As a spiritual athlete I need proper food. What is this food? "My flesh is meat indeed." This food is our Lord Himself. In Holy Com­munion we get strength to grow, energy for activity. Christ gives us the strength we need when temptation comes. He gives us strength, too, when we labor in His service, bringing others to this same union with Him. We must be in condition; He Himself is food for our soul.

I Speak to God: Lord: I sometimes complain about the body you've given me... how I grow, how I look. I suppose I can't do much about that. But I can do something about a more important thing: my spiritual growth and appearance. I don't want to be a spiritual weakling. When I look at myself completely, may I see myself grown tall, strong, balanced. You, in Communion, bring me that nourishment which I need. Make me eager to receive it. And Lord, there are so many people who are completely starving themselves of this most necessary food. With the strength that you give me, may I help bring them to you, so that all of us may be united in your Church at your holy table.

Thought for Today: "I have come that they might have life."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: