Saturday, September 02, 2006

Mental Prayer, A Monthly Check-Up for September

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

On Spiritual Exercises

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To see exactly how successful I've been this summer in leading my life as a faithful Catholic and to continue to make improvements.

Check-Up: Imagine Mary, your Mother, appearing to you. See her so beautiful, clothed in blue and white, just as at Fatima. She speaks to you in a gentle voice:

"My son, have you really tried this summer to become my son, to become more like Christ, by the best means possible: by daily prayer and fulfilling your spiritual duties? Did you say my Rosary every day, trying to make each mystery real and vivid? Did you go to Mass and Communion daily, or at least some time during the week? You know how important I consider the examination of conscience each evening, checking the 'particular examination.' Well, what about them? How faithful have you been?"

"Prayer and penance. Those are the things I asked for at Fatima for world peace. Have you been making your daily 15 minutes of mental prayer. Name some things you have sacrificed, given up in reparation to my Immaculate Heart and my Son's Sacred Heart."

"Have you allowed me to speak to you by making spiritual reading? Have you made use of weekly confession to a regular confessor to stay close to me and Jesus? And finally, what have you done to save and perfect souls during the summer? Can you mention someone who is closer to me because of what you have said and done?"

I Speak to Mary: Mary, I know I have failed at times, but with your help I will do better in the future.

Thought for Today: I will do better.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: