Sunday, December 31, 2006

Mental Prayer for January 1, New Year's Resolutions

Monthly Check-Up for January
______________________________

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To make this a big year for you and me!

The Idea: New Year's is the traditional time for making resolutions for the coming year. As a close follower of Christ, I want to give serious thought now to my program for the new year. Keeping in mind my obligations as a Catholic (sanctifica­tion of myself and others and by being faithful to Christ and his Church), why not draw up a list of particular points that I should work on - items that are especially pertinent to me, to my own situation, needs, characteristics?(Plan to check on these, too, in the daily Particular Examination.)

My Personal Application: I should work out several good resolutions (not too many nor beyond what I can do). They shall include something on mental prayer, something on Mass, confession, Holy Communion, much on the love and imitation of Christ.

I am what I think! I become what I fill my thoughts with, what I set my heart on. I'll be­come saintly and Christlike if that's what I give my whole attention to.

I Speak to Mary: Help me to achieve your perfect imitation of Jesus. Help me see that the first duty of charity is to give God to my neighbor. This means that I must already possess Him through sanctifying grace; it means, too, letting others see Him in my words and actions. Mary, help me !

Thought for Today: Brave resolutions - for Christ!
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: