Saturday, February 17, 2007

Mental Prayer for February 18, The Christopher Way

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To appreciate the Christopher way.

The Idea: Christopher means Christ-Bearer. Any­one can be a Christopher, if he will just decide to do something to make the world better instead of sitting and com­plaining that the world is growing worse.

How will a Christopher choose a vocation? He will start with an eagerness, with a sense of dedication. He will ask : "In what work will I be able to do the most good for others?" I am not aiming mainly at money, but at doing good and stirring others to want to help. Where can I most influence others? The Christophers propose four fields where our influence can be tremendous: education, government, writing, and labor ­management. The dedicated enemies of God rush to take over these fields. Will I let them have complete charge?

My Personal Application: "That work will profit me most?" is an indication that "self" is ruling me. I might read Careers Which Change Your World. It has put many young people on fire toward choosing an heroic work in life. Why not me? A priest or religious is not the only one who can change the world. It's up to me too!

I Speak to God: Whatever my choice, God, let it light the way to you for others. Help me see the evil of the world, and give me the strength to choose to light a candle for men!

Thought for Today: "lt is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: