Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Meditation for August 30, A Life Marked with the Cross

The Bull of canonization of St. Rose of Lima relates that when a very young child she used to have a good time with her brother Ferdinand, trying to see which of the two could throw his flower petals the highest. One day after the flowers thrown by Ferdinand had fallen immediately to the ground, the flowers thrown by little Rose remained suspended in the air and, grouping themselves as by an invisible magnet, traced above her a sort of cross.

Pretty and eloquent symbol!

Every time that a sacrifice, or an opportunity of practicing virtue, or a possibility of manifesting my love presents itself to me, I will say, "You ask this of me, Lord, take it, here it is" - ­and as children do in processions, I will throw towards the sky, with all my soul, the generosity asked for.

At the moment of rising. . . Here, LordI Ecce Ancilla!
Then in prayer. . . Here, Lord, all my attention, and all my heart. Ecce!

Then in the thousand and one occupations of the duties of my state, the renunciations that it imposes, my office, my health, recreations, the apostolate, here, Lord, take, all that, and yet more.

And all the sacrifices rising invisibly towards God will group themselves above my life like a great cross of light.

Then the Most High, looking down on me from heaven, will see my entire existence marked with the sign which does not deceive.

"That one, that one, Oh, I recognize her truly as Mine. She carries, not only on her clothing but also upon her life, the mark of my Son, the Cross; I love her and I bless her."

Beginning today, I shall practice throwing my flowers towards heaven, the white flowers of my virginal love, the purple flowers of my sacrifices.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: