Saturday, September 01, 2007

Meditation for September 2, The Vice of Ownership

St. Benedict calls ownership on the part of a monk a vice. I hold nothing as my own. All is common property or ought to be. But each object is sacred; and ought to be regarded as a sacred altar vessel; is it not really a part of the House of God?

I can fail against my vow of poverty by appropriating for my exclusive personal use what ought to remain general, or by not using in accordance with obedience whatever I am permitted to have.

In certain novitiates there is a custom of periodically changing cells, the better to fulfill the word of Scripture We have not here a lasting city, and to prevent the possibility of establishing for oneself a little nest.

At certain intervals, St. Mary Magdalene of Pazzi used to make an examination of poverty in the cells of her religious, the "scru­tinium paupertatis," a sort of inventory of the objects used by each.

It is unbelievable how much I manage to accumulate without being aware of it; this is due to lack of vigilance.

I need not be excessively scrupulous, but only beautifully up­right. I will resolutely rid myself of whatever is useless. I will ask the necessary permissions.

The more truly poor I am, the more will I resemble Jesus Christ; the freer will I be from harmful attachments, and the farther removed from the tastes and habits of the world, where everyone is thirsty to possess. I will show myself truly detached, by being vigilant in regard to little presents that I give or receive. Everything that is given for my use belongs to God; and must be treated as sacred.

"O Jesus, poor among the poor, give me a truly religious esteem and respect for Holy Poverty."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: