Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Meditation for September 26, Confidence in Prayer

In the Revelations of St. Mechtilde, it is related that Our Lord said one day to the fervent nun: "Here I am, I put Myself in the power of your soul, so that you can tell me to do what you wish; I am at your command." A sublime word and at first thought incom­prehensible! How is it possible? Our Lord puts Himself at the service of His servant!

But then, has He not said before that if the prayer of the least among us be a true prayer it forces the gates of heaven and God does not refuse to hear it. Considering that, is it surprising that Our Lord spoke to a saint as He did?

St. Mechtilde, besides, is not the only one who heard Christ put Himself at her command. It is recounted in The Herald of Divine Love, Book 1, Chapter xvii, that Jesus asked St. Gertrude one day: "Give me your heart," and as the saint was offering it with joy, the Savior said to her: "I will take pleasure from now on in using your heart. It will be the channel through which the over­flowing source of My Sacred Heart will spread abroad divine con­solation upon those who have recourse to you with faith and hu­mility." Several times Our Lord renewed the same promise.

Without doubt these nuns are especially qualified by their holi­ness to receive such a grace. But all things considered, is not any religious by virtue of her title, Spouse of Christ, the depository of the favors of the Spouse? If I were a saint how efficacious would be my prayers for souls! Ask and you will receive is said to all. All can be heard and have God, so to speak, at their command.

Among these All I wish to be so especially attached to Our Lord by my fervor and my fidelity that He will have greater joy in listening to me. I will have faith in prayer, not doubting the Heart of my Good Master, but daring to ask Him for everything.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: