Friday, October 19, 2007

Meditation for October 20, The Best Prayer

According to Father Foucauld, and he knew, "the best prayer is the one in which there is the most love."

It is not a question of the best prayer in itself according to theory, but of the best prayer in deed, according to our interior dispositions.

Then, I need not be frightened or disturbed, if at prayer I am utterly devoid of thoughts, or if my mind always revolves in the same circle; if I am not like those souls who discover beautiful ideas or new points of view, or at any rate, enjoy variety in their thoughts.

My prayer gets its value not from my head but from my heart. Should my prayer overflow with ideas but lack love it is very im­perfect, but if it is permeated with love, although poor in ideas, it is truly perfect.

Without doubt, when I prepare my meditation I ought to try to determine upon a definite subject to aid my memory and my intel­lect, since it has been proved that, in general, the heart and will are not moved unless the mind is attentive, enlightened, and con­vinced; but the subject of my meditation can be the same for several successive days, above all if I am experienced in the prac­tice of habituated prayer. I ought not hesitate, however, to aban­don this subject if the Holy Spirit suggests another to me, even at the very beginning of my prayer, or if, like Magdalen at the feet of Jesus, I am satisfied to unite myself to the Divine Master while gazing on Him.

I will do all in my power to use the means to pray well, but be willing to renounce them if God Himself enlightens me, drawing me into a silence that unites me more closely to Him than words could ever do.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: