Monday, November 19, 2007

Meditation for November 20, My Charge

It was while Zachary, the father of St. John the Baptist, was exercising the functions of his office according to custom that God communicated to him His secrets. (Luke i, 8-9.)

A charge and the duties that are attached to it do not seem to be a great thing, because it is something customary and there are many who must fulfill a charge; but I am never nearer God nor is God more inclined toward me than when I exercise my charge.

I don't have to sanctify myself according to the abstract plan of a religious life established in general. No, but I must sanctify myself within the very concrete boundaries of my personal life and employment. For every passing hour I have my position and the exigencies of my Institute, that is to say, by the will of Providence, a program of determined activity. If I fulfill this program to the best of my ability, I can do nothing in the world which would please God more.

It is not a question then of having a beautiful life, of accom­plishing this or that, of executing such a great action, but of clean­ing a casserole, or a corridor; it is a question of accomplishing at a definite time what God asks of me, whether it be great or small, important or unimportant according to worldly standards.

Besides, in principle, a little action is more important than a great action, because it demands more humility. If, then, my charge requires almost all little actions of me, I should rejoice, for it is easy to sanctify myself through them.

Considering the merit of my actions, not so much according to their intrinsic supernatural value but according to my dispositions in performing them, my acts are worth the charity that animates them. If I put a great love into them they are great things.

"I will put forth every effort to sanctify myself in my work; to do it well and to animate it with as much love as possible. In this manner I will best prepare myself to receive the secrets of God if He has any to confide to me."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: