Monday, December 10, 2007

Just for Today, December 11

I became the most humble and most abject of all men, that thou mightest learn to overcome thy pride by my humility.
- Bk. III, ch. xiii.

Lord Jesus, forasmuch as Thy way is narrow and des­pised by the world, grant that I may follow Thee, and be despised by the world: for the disciple is not above the master, nor the servant above his lord (Matt. x, 24). Let Thy servant meditate on Thy life, for there is my salvation and true holiness.
- Bk. III, ch. lvi.
__________________

O Jesus, when a pilgrim upon earth Thou didst say: Learn of me because I am meek and humble of heart: and you shall find rest to your souls (Matt. xi, 29). My soul finds rest when I see Thee, the mighty King of Heaven, humble Thyself in the form of a slave and wash the feet of Thy disciples. When giving this lesson in humility Thou didst say: I have given you an example, that as I have done to you, so you do also. The servant is not greater than his lord, neither is the apostle greater than he that sent him. If you know these things, you shall be blessed if you do them (John xii, 15, 16, 17).

I understand these words spoken from the depths of Thy meek and humble Heart, and with the help of Thy grace I am resolved to put them into practice.
- Pr.
__________________
For a List of Abbreviations, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: