Thursday, January 10, 2008

Just for Today, January 11

This is a favour to Thy friend, that he should suffer and be afflicted in this world for the love of Thee, how often soever, and by whomsoever Thou permittest it to fall upon him. Without Thy counsel and providence, and without cause, nothing is done upon earth.

It is good for me, O Lord, that Thou hast humbled me, that I may learn Thy justification, and that I may cast away from me all pride of heart and presumption. It is advantageous for me that shame has covered my face, that I may rather seek my comfort from Thee than from men. I have learned hereby to fear Thy impenetrable judgements, who afflicts the just with the wicked, but not without equity and justice.
-Bk. III, ch. I.
__________________

January 10 was, as I have described to you, the day of our dear Father's triumph. This feast can be likened to Our Lord's entry into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. Just as his divine Master's triumph was to be followed by the bitter Passion, so was his own short-lived glory to be changed into suffering. Our Lady's heart was pierced by the Passion of her Son, as ours are by the humiliation and suffering of the one we love best upon earth.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: