Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Just for Today, March 6

In some cases thou must use violence, and manfully resist the sensual appetite, and not regard what the flesh has a mind for, or what it would fly from; but rather labour that whether it will or not, it may become subject to the spirit.

And so long must it be chastised and kept under servitude, until it readily obey in all things and learn to be content with a little, and to be pleased with what is plain and ordinary, and not to murmur at any in­convenience.
-Bk. III, ch. xi.
_________________

I began to feel a real affection for ugly, inconvenient things; for instance, I was delighted when they took away the pretty little water jug from our cell, and gave me an old one, all chipped. I also tried never to justify myself, but this I found difficult, as I wanted to hide nothing from my novice mistress.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: