Friday, March 07, 2008

Just for Today March 8

This is not the work of man, but the grace of Christ, which can and does effect such great things in frail flesh, and what is naturally abhors and flies, even this, through fervour of spirit, it now embraces and loves.
-Bk. II, ch. xii.
_______________

Ever since I entered Carmel, suffering has awaited me at every turn, but I have always embraced it lovingly. At the canonical examination before my Profession I said that I had come to Carmel in order to save souls, and above all to pray for priests.

To attain an end, one must make use of the means, and Our Lord having made me understand that it was by the cross that I would win souls, the more crosses I met with, the more did my desire of suffering increase. I trod this path for five years, though no one suspected it. Jesus alone was to be given this flower, whose fragrance is all kept for Heaven, and so remains un­noticed upon earth.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: