Monday, April 21, 2008

Meditation for April 22, Neglected Opportunities

Perhaps time will bring great opportunities to do things for Christ, in the meantime let us profit by the little ones that present themselves - that is not always so easy.

Someone once said, "We would throw ourselves into the water to save our neighbor, if he fell into the river, but he, of course, rarely falls in; meanwhile we make his life so unbearable that he would like to jump in."

That recalls the subtle remark of St. John Chrysostom: "Re­member the day on which you decided to fast; you sat down at table, called your servant; and because he was slow in coming, you became so angry that you upset the table. 'Make a choice,' some­one has said, 'if it were necessary to break something, it might have been better to break your fast rather than the bones of your servant.'"

These counsels are addressed to people of the world, but who would pretend that they may not be applied to religious?

I aspire to great virtue, I practice it, at least occasionally; then some very ordinary occasions for the practice of patience or charity present themselves, and they prove too much for me.

I must be convinced that I have to sanctify myself in the ordi­nary humdrum ways of life, that my dueling ground is my daily routine, my occupations, my household duties, my classes and the many observances of my Rule.

There is wisdom in this observation of Elizabeth Leseur:

"Sometimes the desire for activity makes us neglect action. By seek­ing some sublime occasion of giving ourselves to a great cause, we forget a lonely, humble brother who is waiting for a comforting word, a friendly gesture. Let us not waste our time contemplating a distant road but rather follow the narrow road, not looking too far ahead, nor too high, but straight ahead and about us. The good to be done is there."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: